Seqera Labs is the leading provider of workflow orchestration software enabling collaborative data analysis at scale. Our mission is to empower scientists everywhere with foundational software for collaborative data analysis.
A better world through accelerated scientific discovery
Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food.
At the heart of all of these transformations is the ability for scientists and computational biologists to make sense of an exponentially growing data set. Seqera Labs’ mission is to empower scientists everywhere with foundational software for collaborative data analysis.
Seqera Labs’ founders are the creators of Nextflow, the most widely used open-source framework for computational pipelines and the largest community of computational scientists curating pipelines for advancing science. Seqera Labs’ goal is to provide the foundational software solutions that enable effortless data analysis, for every scientist, on any infrastructure.
*Please Note that LinkedIn requires us to list a specific location. This is a full-time position - Mid level.#LI-Remote: EU (Spain, UK or Portugal)
About the role
The Engineering team is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Java/Groovy Software Engineer with experience in designing and implementing Domain-Specific Languages (DSLs) and grammars. As a member of our team, you will play a crucial role in developing cutting-edge software solutions, leveraging your expertise in Java, Groovy, and language design to create intuitive and powerful DSLs for our clients
Would you like to be a part of a company with a bigger purpose and make it successful with your own ideas? If yes, keep reading!
What You'll Do
- Contribute to design, develop and maintain the next generation of Nextflow language, interpreter, engine runtime and configuration system.
- Collaborate with the development team to implement new features and enhance the performance, scalability, and usability of Nextflow.
- Participate in code reviews, providing constructive feedback and ensuring adherence to best practices, code quality, and documentation standards.
- Actively engage with the Nextflow open-source community, addressing user queries, troubleshooting issues, and incorporating user feedback into product improvements.
- Stay abreast of the latest trends and advancements in computational biology, workflow management, and open-source technologies, bringing new ideas and innovations to the team.
- Contribute to the development of Nextflow-related documentation, tutorials, and training materials to facilitate adoption and ensure a smooth user experience.
- Collaborate with other teams, such as bioinformatics and product management, to understand user requirements, identify areas for improvement, and prioritize feature development.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering.
- Experience in software development using Java and Groovy.
- Knowledge of language design principles, DSL concepts, and grammar development.
- Strong understanding of software engineering best practices, including object-oriented design, design patterns, and clean code principles.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced, agile development environment.
- Proficiency in using version control systems (e.g., Git), continuous integration tools, and containerization technologies (e.g., Docker, Singularity).
- A passion for open-source software, reproducibility in scientific research, and making a positive impact in the scientific community.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to articulate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Nice to have
- Prior work experience in implementing grammars, parsers, and code generators to support DSL usage and manipulation.
- Prior experience with DSL frameworks and tools such as Groovy DSL, Xtext, ANTLR, or similar.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or a related field. PhD is a plus.
- Experience working with bioinformatics tools, genomic data analysis, and scientific workflows is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with other languages like Python, Go or Rust is desirable.
Why join us?
By learning from and with each other, we ensure our ability to drive innovation and make better decisions toward our mission. Most importantly, our culture provides a genuinely fun, inclusive, and challenging environment that will allow you to grow while making a huge difference in human health and beyond.
What will you find working at Seqera Labs?
- Flexible working hours, and remote-friendly culture.
- International working environment with more than 25 nationalities.
- Passionate & talented team.
- Continuous skills development.
- Team retreats and bonding activities.
- A culture where your opinion is valued and your decisions have a real impact on the industry.
- Excitement of a fast-growing startup in a constantly changing environment.
- Time off: holidays in accordance with the local legislation + 3 days given by Seqera in December of 2023, and the national/public holidays according to your location.
- Private health insurance
- Private life insurance
- Home office allowance (valued over 1,000 USD)
- Subscription to Oliva, Mental Health App
- Learning and development budget per year (1,000 USD)
At Seqera Labs we develop software that simplifies complex data analysis pipelines. These pipelines are used for the analysis of data like DNA sequences and fMRI in applications spanning research, agritech and the clinic. Our software enables scientists to create and securely deploy their data applications in the cloud or on traditional high-performance computing infrastructure.
We are the creators and the leading provider of the open-source workflow orchestration software: Nextflow. We connect data pipelines, cloud infrastructure and enable collaboration across life sciences, healthcare, imaging and machine learning. Nextflow is used by thousands of organizations of all sizes—from startups to large enterprises— to manage their data analysis and get results fast.
From personalized immunogenic vaccines to sequencing-based diagnostics, Seqera's customers are performing the most critical work on this planet. We believe in a future where scientific applications and massive datasets join forces to deliver incredible outcomes.
You should know
Seqera Labs is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. However you identify or whatever your journey to this point, we welcome all candidates to apply for the position that inspires them. Come join us and help us build a global company that everyone is proud to be part of.
As we scale, we constantly improve our in-office and WFH environments and learn to help everyone have the best setup for our company's success and your personal development, while always keeping the human touch in every aspect of our lives.