Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food.
At the heart of all of these transformations is the ability for scientists and computational biologists to make sense of an exponentially growing data set. Seqera Labs’ mission is to empower scientists everywhere with foundational software for collaborative data analysis.
Seqera Labs’ founders are the creators of Nextflow, the most widely used framework for computational pipelines and largest community of computational scientists curating pipelines for advancing science. Seqera Labs’ goal is to provide the full suite of commercial products enabling effortless data analysis, for every scientist, on any infrastructure.
*Please Note that LinkedIn is having some issues with job postings. This is a full-time position - Director level. #LI-Remote
About the role
We are looking for a Finance & Operations Director to lead the day-to-day finance and operations functions and assist with the strategic positioning of our company during the next stage of business development.
About the role. Your mission will be:
- Build the finance function for scale.
- Design and manage all financial processes end-to end.
- Develop budgets, and forecasts for company growth and model revenue and expenses.
- Lead OPEX monthly follow-up in order to assure the accuracy of financials and provide detailed variance analysis.
- Coordinate, prepare and review monthly, quarterly, and annual reports, as well as tax schedules, returns and information. Monitor compliance with laws and regulations
- Create KPI measurement tools to monitor financial and operational performance as part of a continuous improvement process.
- Provide strategic guidance around capital financing options to support company growth needs. Assist in fundraising including developing investor materials, legal capital structure & due diligence audits.
- Lead investor relations with financial and company performance metrics, reports and financial strategy.
- Lead standards compliance (i.e ISO27001) and security posture of the company.
- Support the integration of payments processing with Product and Engineering teams
- Identify and address financial risks and opportunities for the company.
- Develop and maintain all necessary accounting policies and systems, including financial reporting, ensuring that records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, while overseeing contract bookkeeper and eventually recruit and manage a finance team.
- Contribute to high-level decisions regarding policy and strategy, within a new and fast-evolving sector.
- Support the management team with executive hiring.
- We are looking for a multidisciplinary and hands-on leader. The ideal candidate has expertise in creating internal financial processes, developing budgets and forecasts, managing investors' relationships, and strives for operational excellence to keep the organization on the cutting edge as we scale.
We are looking for someone with:
- +5 years of demonstrated proven work experience and results as a Head of Finance or CFO at a startup or scaleup (Series A-C) company during a period of rapid growth.
- Strong grasp of accounting , business reporting and financial statements P&L, BS & Cash Flow under IFRS/US GAAP.
- Demonstrated development of operational processes in prior roles.
- Excellent knowledge of Spanish and US corporate financial laws, taxation and reporting standards.
- Experience with corporate governance, and can anticipate and pre-empt the demands of the CEO, board, and shareholders.
- Excellent English writing and speaking skills.
- Experience in Delaware C incorporation of foreign entities (Nice to have)
- Experience in healthcare, life science, or other enterprise software, technology or SaaS companies in similar fields. (Nice to have)
- A recognised accounting qualification (ACA, CIMA, ACCA, CA, CMA). (Nice to have)
Your unique set of skills are:
- Desire to make an impact on the world through your work.
- Great interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational, planning, analysis, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to optimize processes - you are always looking for ways to automate.
- Outstanding analytical skills and a high attention to detail.
- Confident self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills.
Why join us?
By learning from and with each other, we ensure our ability to drive innovation and make better decisions toward our mission. Most importantly, our culture provides a genuinely fun, inclusive, and challenging environment that will allow you to grow while making a huge difference in human health and beyond.
What will you find working at Seqera Labs?
- Flexible working hours, and remote-friendly culture.
- International working environment with more than 15 nationalities.
- Passionate & talented team.
- Continuous skills development, including a USD 1,000 budget for training (*equivalent in other currencies).
- Team retreats and bonding activities.
- A culture where your opinion is valued and your decisions have a real impact on the industry.
- Excitement of a fast-growing startup in a constantly changing environment.
- Great benefits, including private health insurance, mental health app subscription (Oliva), employee equity, and more to come.
You can watch this video for a quick understanding of who we are and what we do :).
At Seqera Labs we develop software that simplifies complex data analysis pipelines. These pipelines are used for the analysis of data like DNA sequences and fMRI in applications spanning research, agritech and the clinic. Our software enables scientists to create and securely deploy their data applications in the cloud or on traditional high-performance computing infrastructure.
We are the creators and the leading provider of the open-source workflow orchestration software: Nextflow. We connect data pipelines, cloud infrastructure and enable collaboration across life sciences, healthcare, imaging and machine learning. Nextflow is used by thousands of organizations of all sizes—from startups to large enterprises— to manage their data analysis and get results fast.
From personalized immunogenic vaccines to sequencing-based diagnostics, Seqera's customers are performing the most critical work on this planet. We believe in a future where scientific applications and massive datasets join forces to deliver incredible outcomes.
You should know
Seqera Labs is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. However you identify or whatever your journey to this point, we welcome all candidates to apply for the position that inspires them. Come join us and help us build a global company that everyone is proud to be part of.
As we scale, we constantly improve our in-office and WFH environments and learn to help everyone have the best setup for our company's success and your personal development, while always keeping the human touch in every aspect of our lives.