Do you want to make meaningful contributions and grow your career at a company with a greater purpose? Join Seqera Labs, and help us develop pipelines at the home of Nextflow!
Our Scientific Development team seeks a dynamic and motivated Bioinformatics Engineer to support clients throughout their Nextflow Tower journey. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in the development of Nextflow pipelines for the analysis of biological data, including Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data.
If you’re passionate about learning and not afraid of new challenges, then this is the job for you.
About the role
As a Bioinformatics Engineer, you will have the opportunity to build your technical skillset as you engage clients across a variety of technical fields. Build pipelines to process cutting-edge biological data and to help our clients deploy these pipelines using high performance batch computing, cloud storage, virtual private networks, and modern identity systems.
Your mission will be to:
- Help develop best-practices for Nextflow workflows
- Create robust and reproducible scientific workflows using Nextflow
- Develop, deploy, and maintain pipelines in Nextflow Tower - making them available to customers to analyze and visualize data
- Develop, deploy, and maintain cloud data infrastructures capable of processing data related to next-generation sequencing (NGS), imaging analysis, machine learning and related large datasets
- Understand the biological application and scientific needs underlying relevant scientific workflows
- Summarize methods and communicate findings to diverse audiences, which may include: R&D scientists, customers, marketing teams, IP/regulatory teams, and upper management
- Engage with customers on requirements, developing project deliverables and coordinating the execution of projects
- Provide professional bioinformatics services including NGS analysis, data harmonization, curation and custom pipeline development, etc.
- Consult with biotech and pharma professionals across multiple remits
- Collaborate internally with content, research, and software development teams
- Collaborate with multiple internal groups on cross-functional projects
- Create presentations and provide written and verbal updates on scientific findings
About you. We are looking for someone with:
- Strong knowledge of the Nextflow language and the pipeline development approaches adopted by nf-core
- Experience with programming in commonly used languages such as Groovy, Python and R
- Ability to effectively communicate and clearly explain technology to different audiences, through code, writing, presentations and demos
- Familiarity with using Git or other version control systems
- Significant experience with Linux command line tools and shell scripting
- In-depth experience with NGS analysis pipelines and algorithms for a variety of ‘omics’ data types, such as genomics, proteomics, metabolomics etc.
- Experience with HPC and public cloud (AWS, Google, Azure) architectures and a willingness to learn more
- A customer-oriented attitude, someone who enjoys working with others and helping find solutions.
Nice to have
- Degree / PhD in bioinformatics or a relevant field
- 4+ years of relevant experience to scientific workflows and software development
- Proficiency in one or more common programming languages including Python, R or Java.
- Experience with orchestrated, and maintained data infrastructures and scalable pipelines for large datasets
- Solid track record of research in cancer, biomedical, or related areas as demonstrated by publications
Your unique set of skills are:
- Self-motivated and a proactive thinker – can work independently and in teams
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- An eye for detail and well organized
- Creativity & curiosity across all solutions given to clients
Why join us?
By learning from and with each other, we ensure our ability to drive innovation and make better decisions toward our mission. Most importantly, our culture provides a genuinely fun, inclusive, and challenging environment that will allow you to grow while making a huge difference in human health and beyond.
What will you find working at Seqera Labs?
- Flexible work hours, and remote-friendly culture.
- International working environment with more than 10 nationalities.
- Passionate & talented team.
- Continuous skills development, including budget for training.
- Team retreats and bonding activities.
- A culture where your opinion is valued and your decisions have a real impact on the industry.
- Excitement of a fast-growing startup in a constantly changing environment.
- Great benefits, including private health insurance, mental health app subscription (Oliva), employee equity, and more to come.
At Seqera Labs we develop software that simplifies complex data analysis pipelines. These pipelines are used for the analysis of data like DNA sequences and fMRI in applications spanning research, agritech and the clinic. Our software enables scientists to create and securely deploy their data applications in the cloud or on traditional high-performance computing infrastructure.
We are the leading provider of open source workflow orchestration software: Nextflow. We connect data pipelines, cloud infrastructure and enable collaboration across life sciences, healthcare, imaging and machine learning. Nextflow is used by thousands of organizations of all sizes—from startups to large enterprises— to manage their data analysis and get results fast.
From personalized immunogenic vaccines to sequencing-based diagnostics, Seqera's customers are performing the most critical work on this planet. We believe in a future where scientific applications and massive datasets join forces to deliver incredible outcomes.
You should know
Seqera Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. However you identify or whatever your journey to this point, we welcome all candidates to apply for the position that inspires them. Come join us and help us build a global company that everyone is proud to be part of.
As we scale, we constantly improve our in-office and WFH environments and learn to help everyone have the best setup for our company's success and your personal development, while always keeping the human touch in every aspect of our lives.